I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!
I’m pretty happy to announce that Day 2 has been pretty smooth. I have done two loads of diapers and have learned quite a bit. Last night, I did my first load and used 2 tbsp of Hard Rock in my scent of he moment Rage Against the Raspberry. The amount of detergent I used was way too much. I did wash 5 flats, two stray Bum Genius Elementals, one night time fitted (which I have decided not to use for the remainder of the challenge), a fleece liner, one Flip cover, and one small wet bag. I thought about washing the Elementals in the washer since they were misplaced when I did my last load on Sunday, however, I felt that would be cheating and didn’t really want to run the washer for two diapers. I had to rinse about ten times last night and I’ll admit, it was pretty frustrating to get rinse out the detergent. I used 1 tsp of Hard Rock on the five diapers I washed today.
So now you that I’m participating in the flats challenge and that I’ve survived two days, you’re probably wondering about my supplies.
Camp style washer (bucket with a hole in he lid and a plunger)
6 Osocozy Birdseye flats
8 RE flour sack towels
3 Hemp Babies flats
1 receiving blanket
12 Grovia wipes
Sheepish Grins Washy Wafers solution
1 Flips cover
1 Rumparooz cover
1 Thirsties Duo wrap
1 Blueberry Cover
1 Tiny Tush Woolie
2 fleece liners for overnight use
1 large Planetwise wet/dry bag
1 small Planetwise wet/dry bag
1 RE folding dryer rack
I contemplated using disposable wipes for the challenge, but I normally only use the Grovia wipes and it seems easier to stick to my normal routine as much as possible.
So far, so good. I feel satisfied with my decision to participate in the challenge. Washing the first load was the hardest since I used too much detergent. The diapers I washed last night were dry by the time we got up this morning. Drying diapers outside took about 60 minutes or so, the heat helps. I’ll be drying them outside for the most par because they smell fantastic afterwards!
Let’s see what tomorrow brings!